At Studio School & Sixth we recognise that we have a vital role to play in multi-agency safeguarding arrangements and ensuring that the school is a safe, well ordered and caring environment for learning. We are committed to safeguarding children and young people and expect everyone in our school to share this commitment.
Our Safeguarding Policy applies to all adults, including volunteers working in or on behalf of the school and follows the child protection procedures as defined by Walsall Safeguarding Children Board www.wlscb.org.uk and multi-agency threshold guidance. We work with partners to ensure the best outcomes for children and young people.
Safeguarding arrangements in the school are underpinned by the 2 key principles:
- Everyone who comes in to contact with children and their families has a role to play in safeguarding children. All Governors, staff, trainees and volunteers have a responsibility and role to identify concerns, share information appropriately and take prompt action. Staff members will maintain an attitude of “it could happen here” where safeguarding is concerned
- When concerned about the welfare of a child, staff will always act in the best interests of the child. The school operates a child centred approach taking into account children’s views and voices. The child’s wishes and feelings will be taken into account when determining what action to take and services to provide to protect individual children through ensuring there are systems in place for children to express their views and give feedback
Child protection is defined as safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children by:
- Protecting children from maltreatment;
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- Protecting children from the risk of radicalisation, exploitation and other harms e.g. drugs, alcohol, gangs, neglect, sexual or criminal (county lines) exploitation;
- Ensuring children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Everyone working in, or for our school, takes all welfare concerns seriously and encourages children and young people to talk to us about anything that worries them. We share an objective to help keep children and young people safe by contributing to;
- Providing a safe environment for children and young people to learn
- Creating a culture of vigilance where we always act in the best interests of the child;
- Identifying children who may be at risk of radicalisation, in need of extra help, or are suffering or likely to suffer significant harm, and taking the appropriate action, working with other services as needed.
Safeguarding Contacts at Studio School & Sixth
Miss Hannah Smith
Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mr Darren Perry
Principal/Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Miss Tieshia Ewen
Pastoral Lead KS4
Ms Inge Smith & Ms Fatema Noor
Mental health Leads
Safeguarding Contacts in Walsall
0300 555 2866 Option 2
Emergency Response Team
0300 555 2922 or 0300 555 2836
Safeguarding Coordinator (Education)
Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) (Allegations against Staff)
01922 654040 / 07432 422205